Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Promoting mediocrity...

So, when do we get tired of meeting the so-called standards of public outrage? It seems that Jerry Seinfeld is getting a little shit about a statement he made in regards to comedy. Let's review said statement:

“People think it’s the census or something,” Seinfeld said during a BuzzFeed Brews with CBS This Morning interview. “This has gotta represent the actual pie chart of America? Who cares? It's just funny. Funny is the world that I live in. You’re funny, I’m interested. You’re not funny, I’m not interested. I have no interest in gender or race or anything like that.”  

First of all, I'm not someone who would be quick to defend Jerry Seinfeld. It's not because I don't like the guy, I'm just not enamored by his brand of comedy. IE: I don't find him to be funny. Different strokes and all. Second, why do people need to twist this into, "Oh, Jerry hates women and people of other ethnicities"? It's not what he's saying at all. Then, you have your other detractors who say, "He hasn't been relevant in years." Oh...so what have you done lately? Build a house for the homeless? Volunteer at a shelter? Record a critically lauded album? Won a Pulitzer? Fuck off, people...seriously. I think that Seinfeld's mindset here IS forward thinking.

I don't believe in rewarding ANYONE due to their background. I'm of the old school thinking that the best qualified person should get the job, no matter what race or gender they are. I think that the NFL's Rooney Rule is asinine. We keep implementing things into society that politicians and lawmakers think are good for society when really, we're just dividing people even more. Political correctness is horrible and I can't stand it. We all spend so much time arguing over stupid shit that we never sit down and figure out how to get along with one another. For all the progress we've made over the decades, we always find a way to slip back. We're supposed to be more evolved. It's time to cash that check that our ass is writing...pony up, before it's too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment