Saturday, April 27, 2013

NaPoWriMo Day 27

I liked this prompt, but I'm not crazy about my poem. “Poem Starting with a Line by ” is your title.  Look for a line that captures your imagination (and holds its own as a unit of syntax)  That is your first line*. It sets the tone for your poem.  (*be sure to cite the source at some point). I used the first line of a poem from Keetje Kuipers.



Poem Starting with a Line by Keetje Kuipers

My little empire goes to sleep around me.
Machines whir to a stop, cell phones are
silenced, yet still vibrate little messages
while I sleep in the basement, surrounded
by the breath of flowing air ducts,
the babble of tiny finches that are senior
citizens in their giant cage. My eyes stay
shut but I still listen, feign sleep with
deep breaths, hear the dog shuffle the shirt
in her cage, listen to her feet click on
the plastic bottom. The radiant pain in my
leg subsides for one night, the mattress
hammocked in the middle. My brain still on
poetic time, still in defense mode. Coffee
will brew itself in the morning but I will
seethe through the night, unable to shut down.

(First line from "Waltz of the Midnight Miscarriage" by Keetje Kuipers)

No comments:

Post a Comment