Friday, April 19, 2013

NaPoWriMo, Day 19

So, I went with the Poetic Asides prompt to write a "burn" poem. I've been reading a book called "Beautiful" by Katie Piper. I heard her story on tv some time ago and saw the struggles she went through after her attack. This is what I came up with.



Katie, disappearing

I thought it was water or coffee
thrown at me by some crazy, scruffy
homeless guy. I thought I'd have to
go home and change my clothes over
someone's rudeness until I felt the
pain sink in, until I could feel skin
coming off and watched my clothes
disappear, saw my flesh turning red,
bubble and dissolve. Everything looked
cloudy. I could hear screams and didn't
even know they were mine, my voice, a
gravelly, acid coated stranger. Pieces
of me were disappearing and I couldn't do
a thing to stop it. I felt like my bones
were on fire, like the end was near
and I was this pitiful sight, gawked at
by people. No one would help me. I knew
it was Danny's idea, knew that only he
could inflict this kind of misery, knew
that raping me two days before wasn't
enough. He had to erase me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment