Wednesday, April 17, 2013

NaPoWriMo, Day 17

I used the NaPoWriMo prompt to write a greeting poem. Earlier this month, one of their prompts was to write a valediction, so now we work the other end of the spectrum. I wrote this with a friend in mind. Someone who just got some really good news after a big struggle. I tried to avoid being trite, but...well, hopefully it doesn't suck too much.



In vitro
(for N)

Hello spark.
Your charge starts this flame
inside of me. Right now,
it is a slow, blue light
like a bunsen burner.
You are a jigsaw piece,
an unbroken yolk I can't see
but can keep warm.
You should know how we labored
for you, even when my cells
were found faulty, even when
the broken pieces were gutted
from my womb.
Now it is about making phone calls
with cautious excitement,
about growing you from the
ground up, thick roots spread
from Poland to America,
to you in a petri dish.
I stand in front of the mirror,
place my pale hands over flatlands
that you will expand,
release a long breath and begin
my wait for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment