Sunday, April 14, 2013

NaPoWriMo, Day 14

NaPoWriMo's prompt today was to write a persona poem from the point of view of a superhero or supervillain. I really didn't know where to go with this one. I don't watch as many movies like that anymore. I haven't read comics in years. So, after pondering it for a while, I went back to one of the first comics I ever collected, and probably my favorite character of them all. 


Tandy

I didn't have to run away.
I had everything I could have wanted.
All I needed was attention from the
most important person in my life:
my mother. So I left. I gave up
everything. I walked the streets,
met a boy who protected me until
we ended up as lab rats to some
chemist who shot us up with some
synthetic drugs. We should have died,
but we didn't. We ended up with powers.

Now I glow with white light. Now I can
aim daggers of light anywhere I want.
I can take down the people who prey
on the weak, the homeless, the frail.
I'll never stop fighting these drug dealing
bastards. I'll make sure that other girls
and boys like me never have to sleep in a park,
dig through a dumpster for food. This drug war
is so much bigger than me and I know I'll never
be able to stop all of them, but I'll keep going.
Ty would have wanted me to.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment