Saturday, April 13, 2013

NaPoWriMo, Day 13

Today, I went with the NaPoWriMo prompt of taking a walk, observing and writing a poem about what you see. 



Treats, hair product and soft pretzels

The sound of popping balloons
scares the dogs sitting out on
the sidewalk in front of the newish
pet store sandwiched between
a hair salon and a pizza joint.
My urge to tackle a few slices
is doused by the dejected look
I am given by my other half.
I won't be allowed to eat in front
of her, so we walk in the pet store,
buy presents for our dachshund's
sixth birthday - little treats, squeak
toys, a giant baked bone with the
words "Happy Birthday" written on it,
make our way to the salon for haircuts.
I let her go first. There are poems to
write. Try to ignore the mindless chatter,
the people asking me if I'm waiting,
the overbearing smell of hair products.
I think about poem ideas and soft pretzels.


No comments:

Post a Comment