Monday, April 1, 2013

NaPoWriMo, Day 1

So, I've written two so far today. It's a good start, but I hate them both. One is posted on another blog. Both are from the NaPoWriMo website prompt. I haven't written anything since late January/early February, so I have to work out the suckdom, quite clearly. Here's the first one...BTW, April's poem is WAY better.



Stagnant

I scatter landmine pieces of paper
on the desk, lists of cd's I want,
coupons printed at supermarkets,
receipts for shit I shouldn't be
eating. None have anything worthwhile
scribbled on them. None are pieces 
of poems, bank deposits, the numbers
of people I should call for whatever
reason. They hold no power, gather dust,
start to curl on the edges. The dog
wouldn't even go near them. They sit
slowly decomposing in the left corner,
near a plastic cup filled with melting
ice and iced coffee flavored water.
They are waiting for me to give them
purpose, waiting for me to take action.

(First line from April Michelle Bratten's "Eat My Paper")

1 comment:

  1. I have piles like this, too. I like the detailed account of what they are, exactly, and I really like the ending.

    ReplyDelete