Friday, April 13, 2012

NaPoWriMo, Day 13

The Poetic Asides prompt was to write an "unlucky" poem, since today is Friday the 13th, a notoriously lucky day for me. The second poem is a tanka, as Robert also put up a tanka challenge for today. Tanka, for those who don't know, is much like haiku, but with less restriction. It's five lines and the syllable count should be 5-7-5-7-7.





Unfortunate DNA


It is what keeps me saturated in
SPF 45 sunblock on warm days spent
walking the bustling, shore boardwalk,
the sun's power heating my pale, pale skin.


It is responsible for the moles that
dot the landscape of my face, that 
could connect, like destinations on a
map, if you were to draw a line from
the left, to the middle, to the right.


It is what makes me prone to mild eczema 
on my legs, covers my shoulders, 
arms and back with freckles.


It is what could make me susceptible to
prostate cancer, like my father had to 
endure in his sixties.


It is the reason why I can never find a
single pair of shoes at DSW, on the main
floor or the clearance section, that will
house these oddball, mammoth feet.








Absent daughter


A box downstairs holds
a framed picture, a sun and
moon with eyes closed, the
words "sleep precious baby, sleep",
it was to hang in your room.






No comments:

Post a Comment