Thursday, April 28, 2011

NaPoWriMo, Day 28

I guess I was in a music state of mind today, since both poems reference music...the first is all about music, really. The PA prompt was to write a "the world without something else" poem, a flip from the Day 3 prompt to write a "the world if you didn't exist" poem. 


Pop tarts I wouldn't miss

Katy Perry, I don't need to know that you
kissed a girl and liked it.
Lots of girls kiss each other every day
and don't make crappy songs about it.

Justin Bieber, if you decided to say
Baby, Baby, Baby, oh! to some girl
I can guarantee you that she will laugh
in your moppy headed face,
and I would join in and point at you.
I don't care that you're a teenager.

Rebecca Black...oh, you're just too easy,
but at least you didn't write that crappy
song, and you can make fun of yourself,
so you score a few points with me.

Gwen Stefani, I still don't know what the
hell a Hollaback Girl is. What I do know
is that this crap you're making now makes
me miss the early No Doubt stuff. A lot.

Britney, you've outlasted your welcome
for a long time now. You're proof that
you can take the girl out of the trailer,
but you can't take the trailer out of the girl.
Oh yeah, your music is terrible.

Madonna...you're not British.
Your remake of American Pie made me want
to drink battery acid.
Also...I blame all of this pop crap on you.



Imagining a world without hippies

There would be no use for bands like
the Grateful Dead and Phish, their
annoying hippie grooves wasted on
those of us who grind it out to bands
with more sinister names like
Nine Inch Nails and Kidneythieves.

There would be no Woodstock, no free love,
no Birkenstocks, no rasta-wanna-bes,
no psychedelic rock, no tie dye, no ponchos,
no hairy armpits, no head scarves,
no bell bottoms and the VW Bus would be
reclaimed as a cool van you could throw
all of your hockey equipment in on a
Sunday afternoon.

The peace and love movement would be
initiated by Lady Gaga, as she emerges
from a giant bird's nest with a full
set of wings and takes flight over the
world, healing everyone's pain with
disposable pop grooves that make
people like me vomitous.

I suppose you have to take the good with the bad.
 







1 comment:

  1. Lots of attitude and spirit in these poems! I appreciate/dig/relish your point of view ... I can barely write my name and just look at you go!

    ReplyDelete