Friday, April 22, 2011

NaPoWriMo, Day 22

Today I have a few shorter poems. The first is from the Poetic Asides prompt of writing an "only one in the world" poem. The second is a shadorma.



The Only Sister

She escaped as liquid
fleeing a flawed world,
leaving as a perfect ghost.
Maybe she saw me as a threat
and decided there was no room
for her in a house with a boy
and his Matchbox cars and a Big Wheel.
There would be no Barbie dolls to remove
the heads off of, no bullies to shove off
of her pink tricycle while she whined and sobbed
with grass stained knees on our front lawn by the
tiny japanese maple tree that wouldn't survive, either.
A small plastic cube holds a white space among my baby pictures
where a faded picture of she and I would be, hugging for my father's
Kodak 110 camera, the only sister, the one I find in late night dreams.
 



Renewal

A leap of
faith, a drizzle, her
legs draped, a
found moment,
carried through dark halls, her taste,
the sound of her breath.
 



 

1 comment:

  1. Your poem, The Only Sister, is so sad. A very moving piece. I like the Shadorma. They are harder to write than you might think!

    ReplyDelete