Tuesday, April 19, 2011

NaPoWriMo, Day 19

I just did not have the goods today. I tried for two and failed. The prompts I was working with were "write a love poem" and "write an anti-love poem". I managed an anti-love poem and that's it. I'm a bit pissed at myself, but I guess...shit happens. One is better than none. Here's the anti-love poem.



Anti

You think marriage is an antiquated ritual
and find indisputable proof in piles of patience
falling over like the dishes in the sink, like the
basement full of junk, like the constant nagging over
how you hate her friends, how you have to name
your kids after her dead aunts and uncles and
great-great grandparents and how vacations just
aren't much fun anymore when it's all work to
pack a car full of kids, full of bags, full of
gas and shuttle it to some place with a beach
and nothing more than burn and slow torture,
something you never signed up for and never
thought you'd become. Fat. Old. Worn out.
Sleep deprived and certainly not in love.
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm in an anti mood, so your poem resonated with me. "Piles of patience falling over like the dishes in the sink" is a neat image.

    ReplyDelete