Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 2, NaPoWriMo

The first poem is a "postcard poem". The second was a prompt from the NaPoWriMo website, which was to write a poem about how you will die.


In the mountains of Virginia

I don't know what the hell
to do with myself now that
I'm out here.
I haven't seen a Starbucks.
There's trees everywhere.
How the hell am I going to
get a wi-fi signal?
Bored out of my mind.
And they call New Jersey
America's armpit?
Please come kidnap me
before I go insane.

 


Sugar on the asphalt
(after Cesar Vallejo)

I can see how it will end for me,
at 7-11 on a Saturday night
at 2am, buying a donut for my wife
who is craving random things on
her cycle.

I won't be the one attempting
to thwart a robbery by
stepping in front a bullet or
chasing the gunman into the dark
parking lot on sleepy Delanco Road.

I will be run down in the parking lot
by those fleeing criminals in their
beat up Chevy van.

I will be clutching a small paper bag
with two cake donuts,
a bottle of Gold Peak iced tea
will be found 30 feet away,
my coffee splattered on the ground and
slowly dripping back towards my
lifeless body in the upslant of the lot
to outline me.

The crickets and streetlights,
the only witnesses.
 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, lack of wifi signal: the curse of too many national parks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you've done here! Your style really appeals to me! It's cheeky and bold and full of spirit!

    ReplyDelete